Looking for an easy meal you can make that doesn’t take a lot of time? Give these weeknight sausage won-ton cups a try. It’s a also a simple recipe for kids to help with in the kitchen, or if they are a little older they can even make it themselves for the whole family. Get the recipe, plus simple sides to pair it with below.
Finding an Easy Recipe for Kids
I used to make this recipe all the time for my kids because it was so easy to whip up. Plus, its not to often that I find something that all of them like. But somehow this meal fell off my radar (must have been the mom-brain) and I completely forgot about it.
Last week, I was writing a post about meals that kids can make and I was reminded of the sausage won-ton cups that used to be a regular dinner. So I decided to bring it back.
I don’t know what it is about these crunchy little bite size cups but my kids love them. That alone makes it a no-fuss meal. It’s great for busy weeknight or lazy weekend nights, because we all need those 😉 All you need is a few ingredients and a mini muffin pan to bake them in.
Simple Side Dish Ideas
To make this a complete meal and still keep it quick and easy you can pair these sausage won-ton cups with simple side dishes for a well-balanced dinner. Here are a few ideas that we like around our house:
- Cilantro and lime rice
- Sweet potato fries (homemade or store bought)
- Roasted broccoli
- Side salad
- Sliced cucumbers
- Seasonal fruit
How to Make Sausage Won-Ton Cups
Step #1: Gather the ingredients.
Get everything that you will need together. Don’t worry, it’s not much and you likely have some of it in your pantry already. For the full ingredient list see the recipe below.
Step #2: Prepare your filling.
First, brown your sausage on medium heat until cooked through. Then drain the excess fat. Return it to the pan.
Next, mix in the tomato sauce and add the garlic, pepper, and salt to taste. Set aside.
Note: to make this an even quicker meal to make you can prep your filling ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Step #3: Place won-tons in muffin pan.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease your muffin pan with cooking oil. Put a won-ton in each muffin space being careful not to rip them.
Bake the empty won-ton cups at 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes or until they are slightly toasted.
Step 4: Fill the cups and bake.
Spoon your filling into the won-ton cups. Note: if you prepped your filling ahead of time heat it in the microwave before filling the cups.
Bake the cups for 10 -11 minutes until the edges are brown and filling is hot.
Step 5: Add cheese.
Nearly everything is better with cheese so sprinkle a little shredded cheddar on each cup and pop them back in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and serve with your favorites sides.
Sausage Won-Ton Cups
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage
- 1 pkg won-ton wrappers
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 cup chedder cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage, drain, and return to pan.
- Add tomato sauce and seasonings to the sausage and mix well.
- Lightly coat mini muffin tin with cooking oil then carefully insert the won-ton wrappers into each muffin form.
- Bake the empty won-tons for 7-8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven.
- Spoon the sausage filling into each won-ton. Then return to the oven for approximately 10 more minutes or until the edges are slightly brown and the filling is hot. Remove from oven.
- Lightly sprinkle the cheddar cheese on each won-ton cup and return to oven until the cheese has melted. Serve.