One of the best habits you can have to start your day off right is by eating a healthy breakfast. A nutrient rich meal in the morning has a positive affect on your energy levels and your ability to focus. Oatmeal is a great choice to have in the morning and this recipe for power protein oatmeal is full of added ingredients that pack a punch of extra vitamins and minerals to wake you up and keep you going. Find out just why breakfast makes your day better and get the full recipe below.
Start Your Day with a Healthy Breakfast
It’s no secret that eating a healthy breakfast benefits your mind and body, but do you really know how? Take a look through this list to understand what putting a good meal into your body can do, not just for your morning, but for your whole day.
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Skip Your Healthy Breakfast
First lets take a look at why you shouldn’t skip a healthy breakfast in the morning.
- Your body needs to rejuvenate after you sleep. When you wake up in the morning your body had gone hours without eating, and you need something that will give it the go-signal to function in its best state. In comes food that provides your systems with the nutrients they are missing to jump start the day.
- It will fire up your metabolism. Introducing food to your digestive system at the beginning of the day is like turning the key in your car’s ignition. You are basically getting your body’s engine running so that it can begin to burn calories and continue to do so all day long. If you don’t get your metabolism started, just like your car, it won’t move very far or fast.
- It gives you sustainable energy. Goodness knows we are busy people these days and there are plenty of ways we try to boost our energy. A balanced breakfast is an essential player in giving your body energy that will last. We’ll talk more about what nutrients are most important and why this recipe for power protein oatmeal fits the bill.
- It makes you happy. You have likely heard of the term “hangry”. You know, when someone is so hungry that they seem irritable or angry. Well, it really is a real thing. When your blood sugar drops so can your mood. Eating breakfast in the morning not only controls your body’s blood sugar levels but also boosts your mood to keep you out of the “hangry” zone.
What Makes a Healthy Breakfast?
I am putting an emphasis on healthy here, because if you are going to fuel your body you might as well fuel it right. Otherwise, you will find yourself running on fumes by your afternoon.
So which nutrients are most important and how does this recipe relate?
- Complex Carbohydrates. In other words, these are the good carbohydrates. The reason they are called that is because unlike simple carbs they offer your body a more sustainable form of energy. Let me explain. Simple carbs are quickly digested and used by our bodies. So the energy they provide is burned faster. If you’ve ever heard the term “sugar high” you know what i mean 😉 Complex Carbs , on the other hand, take longer for the body to process and therefore creating energy that is lasting. Oats, as well as berries, contain complex carbohydrates.
- Protein. Protein is part of every cell in your body, and your body uses protein to build and repair tissue. It also helps to increase your metabolism, decrease cravings, keeps you fuller longer, and constructs lean muscle. In terms of weight-loss, a diet high in protein can help you shed pounds more effectively. You will find peanut butter on the ingredient list for the recipe below, which is high in protein, as well as the protein powder.
- Healthy fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated are the fats that are considered to be healthy. In the right amounts (moderation) these fats can benefit heart health, lower cholesterol, and assist in muscle building. Peanut butter, flax seed, and coconut oil are all healthy fat ingredients in my power protein oatmeal.
Another Healthy Breakfast Tip
One more way I like to start my day out is with coffee. As a mom it is sort of an essential part of waking up that I really enjoy. There is nothing like that first sip in the morning right?? Ahhhh. But I also make it purposeful by adding a scoop of my favorite collagen peptides.
Adding collagen helps to improve you hair, skin, and nails, and don’t we all love that? It also benefits your joints and bones.
Related post: The Best Coffee that will Improve Your Hair, Skin, and Nails
Making Power Protein Oatmeal
- Mix equal parts quick oats and water and microwave for 1 minute, 15 seconds. I buy my oats in the bulk section at my local market but you can get them anywhere you choose.
- Add your natural peanut butter first so melts a little, which makes it easier to stir in.
- Add all of the other ingredients besides the berries and (optional) dark chocolate chips. Stir.
- Finally, top with your choice of berries and dark chocolate chips if you want. Then go ahead and enjoy your healthy breakfast.
Power Protein Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Quick oats
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tsp Natural peanut butter
- 1/2 Tbsp Raw honey
- 1 Tsp chia seeds
- 1 Tsp Ground flax seed
- 1 Tsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 Scoop Protein powder of your choice
- Dash Cinnamon
- Splash Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Small Handful Berries of your choice
- Small Handful Dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Combined the quick oats and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, 30 seconds.
- Add the peanut butter first so that it slightly melts from the heat.
- Then, add in all of the ingredients, except the berries and dark chocolate chips, and stir.
- Top with your choice of berries and dark chocolate chips.
- Eat and enjoy.
13 thoughts on “Healthy Breakfast Recipe for Power Protein Oatmeal”
Great recipe! Thanks a lot for sharing it. Easy and quick. I will try it soon.
Thanks for reading!
This looks amazing! Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts 🙂
We love eating oats in our house for breakfast but we’ve been stuck in a rut with the same recipe lately. Thanks for sharing, plan to try this out this week!
Yay, new recipes are so great!
Looks so good! I love oatmeal for breakfast!
Me too, I often eat them for lunch too!
Breakfast is usually a quick cup of tea or coffee for me. This is something quick and easy to prepare. I’ll try to add this to my morning routine!
This was so interesting! Great post
I love the idea that a good breakfast makes you happy🌞. So true😄
Yes, starts the day right!